Pages

Sunday 31 December 2017

Lovemore - Loofah & Aloe Vera Hydrating Mask Sheet

I been a bit hesitant to use my Lovemore masks since I found out there's a bunch with parabens in it. But I read a post on Instagram where it is pointed out that parabens are in a lot of products we use every day and that it is just mostly a preservative. Like most things in life, use in moderation and you should be fine. So. I decided to give my stash of Lovemore masks another try. The one to try today is the Loofah & Aloe Vera Hydrating Mask Sheet.

I picked this mask primarily because I love eating loofah/sigua 😅. I know, there I go again. Picking a mask based on the "flavour" instead of its purpose... But I mean, it's supposed to be hydrating, which is great for my dehydrated skin. So it's a win win right?



Anyways, the mask boasts that it has deep ocean water as its base instead of good ole H2O. Along with plant extracts, it helps to provide hydration and nutrition to the skin. Which will result in healthier and radiant skin. The package indicated that this is best for those with oily or combination skin, as well as for teenagers and people who are under a lot of pressure on a daily basis. This is due to the fact that the mask is supposed to help achieve a balance between the oil and water levels within the skin. Leading to a cleansed and balanced skin, thus reducing the looks of blemishes.

This mask is claiming it will hydrate the skin and target any dryness issues. But I feel like that the fact it is best for oily or combination skin, is telling me that this mask may not provide sufficient hydration for my dehydrated skin. Let's see if I guessed right.

Upon opening the package, I can smell the sea. It reminds me of those sushi flying fish roe/tobiko. It makes me carve sushi. 😍 The package is listed as being 25ml, but I was surprised to see that there was not much essence left in the package, and the mask itself is not dripping wet. This is surprising as typically, Taiwanese masks are PACKED in essence. But that's ok, saves me some trouble with trying to prevent the essence from dripping everywhere.

The Lovemore silk masks is one of the thinnest masks I have ever tried. It is the aspect of the mask that I love the most out of the brand and its series of masks. The mask is also pretty adjustable despite the fact that it is thin. Though a light hand is recommended.

When I tried the mask, my nose was quite irritated as I caught a bug and was constantly blowing my nose all day. When I put on the mask, I can feel the skin on my nose going "YESSSSSSSS!!!" for having some much needed moisture. Even though it was a little uncomfortable as the essence sunk in, I can feel the irritation going down as I wore the mask. It was much appreciated, and I am assuming it is because of the presence of aloe vera and perhaps loofah.

The instructions said 10 to 20 minutes, but I tend to go by "is the upper lip piece feeling?". This happened at the 25 mark so I took it off then. My nose is definitely A LOT happier after the mask. My skin felt a bit tight and I think that meant I had it on for a little bit longer than I should have. But my face felt cooler, moisturized and a bit softer than usual.

I honestly don't think this provided enough hydration for my dehydrated skin, like I predicted earlier. But I did try this in winter time, where there are heaters and the natural dryness in the air is making my skin wanting as much moisture as it could get. So it makes sense this mask doesn't provide enough of hydration. I think this would be a good cooling mask for the summer. As my skin usually doesn't need as much hydration and this makes my skin feel cool to the touch for a while, which is a great way to cool down.

If I remember correctly, this isn't one of the more typical flavours available online for Lovemore. So it's not worth seeking out if much effort is required in obtaining it. Whilst I think it performs fine, but just maybe not for my skin type and the winter. I think it is worth keeping a couple on hand for the summer... IF I can find it on sale while making other purchases.

Edit : I have come to the conclusion that I have been too harsh on the Taiwanese masks. They are formulated for use within Taiwan, which is a very humid environment. So, even though it is hydrating, it may include ingredients that is best for dehydrated skin in a humid environment. So when I am using it in my super dry environment and on my dehydrated skin, it is just destined to not work well. Should I use the mask in my bathroom during or after a hot bath, the environment will be quite humid and will produce a much better effect.

Therefore, I have to change my opinion on the Lovemore masks. They are quite good, but unfortunately, they are not designed for my environment, which has very dry air. It is best designed for those living in humid environments or those who doesn't have dehydrated skin.

Edit #2 :  US based shop called Glowie Co is carrying this specific mask, the direct link is here. I find the price for box of 5 is quite reasonable so it's worth looking into.

They graciously provided me with a discount code for you to use! The code is CRAFTINGDEEDS and it will take 10% off!

Full disclosure, I get absolutely nothing from this code so use it to your hearts content!!

2 comments:

  1. Parabens aren't always bad - like all chemical ingredients, they might be good or bad :) I've heard about this brand before and I need to try some sheet masks from this brand, the packaging looks really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely regarding the parabens. It depends on the concentration level within the formula as well. As most of the Lovemore masks has paraben as one of the last few ingredients, I think it should be safe to use.

      I really like their packaging and how thin the silk masks are! Definitely worth a try! ^_^

      Delete