Pages

Tuesday 20 October 2015

Battle of Snail Lip Treatments

Okay, I totally lied with the title. It's not really a battle of the snail lip treatments. I already know which won. Well actually, my skin told me which one is the winner. 

The battle is between Pure Smile Snail Lip Treatment in Milk and Pureplus+ Honey Bee Lip Treatment. I received the Pureplus+ item from the Dry & Sensitive box from Memebox, when they used to do international shipping. I ordered the Pure Smile from BonjourHK in September. 

I don't break out often. Pretty much only hormonal breakouts or whenever I don't take care of my body or cleanse properly. Though the breakouts go away as soon as I correct the problem. Occasionally, I do react to products but very rarely. Unfortunately I reacted to the Pureplus Lip Treatment. I didn't want to believe it. How could a lip balm cause me to break out? So I tried and tried but every time I break out on my upper lip, so it looked like I have cold sores.


I seen people rave about how great the Pure Smile's lip treatment is. I think that Pureplus copied Pure Smile as the packaging looked very similar. I wanted to give Pure Smile a try as I like their hand cream a lot. But due to the reaction with Pureplus, I was understandably hesitant. But for some reason last month, I suddenly decided I HAVE to have it after seeing another review on the lip treatment.


I chose the lip treatment in milk flavour as I loved the milk flavour hand cream from the same line but despised the honey flavour. I found the honey flavour to have a very soapy smell. Pureplus+ honey has the same soapy smell. Yuck. I have tried it on a few times, as a thick overnight treatment and a thin lip gloss for the day. I haven't broken out AT ALL from it! It tingles when I first apply it so I had feared it will cause me to break out but nope. My lips are fine. So now I wonder.. What's the difference between these two that would have caused my skin to react so badly to it.

Okay, let's just talk about performance for a minute here. I looked through my notes for the Pureplus+ and I wrote I liked its effect besides the breakouts. The lip treatment stung a little but it stays on through the night. Though when I washed it off in the morning, it feels like I was washing off petroleum jelly off my lips. It got rid of all of the dry skin on my lips. Left my lips soft and moisturized.

As for Pure Smile, it also stayed on through the night. But when I washed it off, it had a less petroleum jelly feeling but that may be because I didn't apply as thick of a layer. It didn't take off much of the dry skin on my lips but I didn't have much. It made my lips feel so smooth and soft.

I would say performance wise both did well. But Pure Smile is a bit more accessible as you can find it on eBay, TesterKorea and other e-retailers. Whereas Pureplus+ is so hard to find, I can only find a Q0010 listing.

Now back to the ingredients. 

I already threw out my packaging for Pureplus+ when I opened the packaging as I didn't think it would cause irritation so I looked on the interweb. Thankfully Veritazy posted a picture of the back of her packaging so I was able to grab the ingredients. Unfortunately, her version is milk whereas mine was honey. But the basic ingredients should be similar. 

Of course I didn't think much when I got my Pure Smile and threw out the packaging as well. So I got the ingredients for the honey version that Fanserviced graciously put into CosDNA. **Actually I double checked and it seems like I didn't throw out the package yet. Though BonjourHK sends them with original Japanese packaging so I have even less resources to translate that. So we are sticking with the ingredient list inputted by Fanserviced.**

Funny how I got the ingredients list for Pureplu+ in milk and Pure Smile in honey, when in reality, my products were Pureplus+ in honey and Pure Smile in milk. I am really hoping the basic ingredients are similar, just the fragrance that makes it different. 

I translated the list by using Google Translate and the Lioele dictionary. I think that is the correct translation of the Pureplu+ ingredients, but if you see any errors, please leave a message and let me know!
Image source: https://veritazy.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/image81.jpg
폴리부텐 (Polybutene), 플리이소부텐 (Polyisobutene), 카프릴릭/ 카프릭트리글리세라이드 (Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride), 미네랄오일 (mineral Oil), 풀리글리세릴-2트리ol소스테아레이트 (Polyglyceryl-2 triisostearate), 옥틸도데칸을 (Octyldodecanol), 스쿠알란 (Squalane), 디이소스테아릴말레이트(Di-isostearyl malate), 포도씨오일(Grapeseed oil), 쉐어버터(Shea Butter), 마카다미아씨오일 (Macadamia Seed Oil), 페닐트리메치콘(Phenyl Trimethicone), 실리카디메칠실릴레이트(Silica Dimethyl Silylate), 페트롤라풀(Petrolatum), 라놀린(Lanolin), 소르비탄세스퀴올리에이트(Sorbitan Sesquioleate), 마이카(Mica/Sericite), 디메치콘(Dimethicone), 향료 (Fragrance), 싫리카(Silica), 부틸파라벤(Butylparaben), 알란토인(Allantoin), 토코페릴아세테이트(Tocopheryl Acetate), 석시노일아텔로클라겐(Succinoyl Atelocollagen), 소듐하이알루로네이트(Sodium Hyaluronate), 우유단백질추출물(Milk Protein Extract), 하이드롤라이즈드콜라겐(Hydrolyzed Collagen), 달팽이점액여과물(Snail Secretion Filtrate)

Okay, down to the comparison. 

Polybutene
Polyisobutene
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride
Mineral oil
Polyglyceryl-2 triisostearate
Octyldodecanol
Squalane
Di-isostearyl malate
Grapeseed oil
Shea butter
Macadamia seed oil
Phenyl Trimethicone
Silica Dimethyl Silylate
Petrolatum
Lanolin
Sorbitan Sesquioleate
Mica
Dimethicone
Fragrance
Silica
Butylparaben
Allantoin
Tocopheryl Acetate
Succinoyl Atelocollagen
Sodium Hyaluronate
Milk Protein Extract
Hydrolyzed Collagen
Snail Secretion Filtrate
Polybutene
Polyisobutene
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride
Mineral Oil
Polyglyceryl-2 triisosterate
Octyldodecanol
Squalene
Diisostearyl malate
Vitis Vinifera seed oil/Grapeseed oil
Shea butter
Macadamia ternifolia seed oil
Snail secretion filtrate
Honey
Anemarrhena Asphodeloides Root Extract
Succinoyl Atelocollagen
Allantoin
Lanolin
Tocopheryl acetate
Sodium Hyaluronate
Sorbitan sesquioleate
Silica Dimethyl Silylate
Petrolatum
Mica
Dimethicone
Silica
Acetyl Hexapeptide-3
Phenyl trimethicone
Butylparaben
Fragrances
**The CosDNA for Pure Smile Snail Lip Treatment in Honey is in thanks to Fanserviced** 

Hmm, the ingredient list between the two products are almost the same. The only differences are the milk protein extract, hydrolyzed collagen, honey, Anemarrhena Asphodeloides Root Extract, and Acetyl Hexapeptide-3. 

The milk protein extract and honey are obviously due to their different flavours so those can be ignored. 

CosDNA listed the Hydrolyzed Collagen as antistatic, moisturizer, and emollient. So it's just should only have moisturizing properties. Same goes to Acetyl Hexapeptide-3. It is listed as a moisturizer. So the two have the same function and shouldn't have caused the breakouts. 

CosDNA simply listed Anemarrhena Asphodeloides Root Extract as plant extract. But good ole' Wikipedia has listed that the plant has anti-inflammatory properties among others, so this may be what prevented breakouts. 

After comparing the ingredient list, I have three theories. 
1) Anemarrhena Asphodeloides root extract in the Pure Smile lip treatment has anti-inflammatory properties and could have prevented the breakouts. 
2) The order of ingredients are the same until Macadamia See Oil. The different order of ingredients may indicate different concentration of the ingredients. Squalane and Dimethicone both has a 1 for acne triggers. Squalane sits at the same spot for both product, but Dimethicone is much higher on the Pureplus+ ingredient list than Pure Smile. So perhaps Pureplus+ used a lot more Dimethicone in their lip treatment and that's why I break out from it. 
3) I am extremely unlucky and got a contaminated product. 

I am not sure what caused Pureplus+ to break out on my upper lip area, but it does. I'll stick with my Pure Smile and be happy that I learned how to look up ingredients in Korean. ^_^ 

0 comments:

Post a Comment