Pages

Saturday 21 November 2015

Battle of Cleansing Oils - DHC vs. Banila Co

I find that I quite like doing these "battles" of similar products. They are pretty fun! They take a while to do as I take my sweet time using them. But it's fun!! (‐^▽^‐)

Background
Just a little background into my skin. It's normal combination, with mostly hormonal breakouts. Though if I don't drink enough water or not eat properly, I will get a little bit of a breakouts too.

Products
I bought my DHC cleansing oil from BonjouHK for $11.47 USD + shipping. I heard much raves about the cleansing oil and decided to give it a try. I was pretty surprised to receive such a small bottle for $11.47. But that's my fault for not reading properly and seeing it's only 70ml. This is the travel size, not the full size.


As for the Banila Co Clean It Zero. I bought samples of it on a whim from RoseRoseShop last year and have been using it on and off for a while to clean off make up and sunscreen. I decided to take the full plunge when I saw the jumbo size on sale at Interpark for around $18 USD with free shipping. Sadly, they no longer offer the sale.
Mini vs MEGA
I received them around the same time and thought, I wonder which one is better for my skin. I first attempted it with the removal of make up swatches. Then I decided to split my face down the middle (figuratively of course), with the left side being DHC and the right side being Banila. I tested both at the same time as I have already been using Banila before, so technically I am only introducing one new item into my routine.

Make Up Removal
First thing I did was, of course, make up swatches and see how both did in removing them. I grabbed whatever I have and swatched it. From left to right they are, lip stain, random white cream eye shadow stick I bought off of eBay a long time ago(I use it on the bottom waterline), Heroine Make Eyeliner, and Quo glittery eyeshadow.
I put the DHC on the top/closer to my thumb and a small dab of the Banila on the bottom. In the results, the position of the two switches as DHC is a liquid and it was impossible to take a picture of it without having it drip off of my hand.
The top is Banila, which you can see is causing a bit of muck when it's rubbed in. The bottom is DHC and it's looking kind of like nothing is happening.
This is after I rubbed at my the back of my hand for a good minute and rinsed everything off with water. It looks like everything besides the eyeliner and the lip stain has been washed off completely. If you look closely, the lip stain is still visible, just a tad fainter on top than the bottom. Similarly, the eyeliner is less prominent on top compared to the bottom. That eyeliner was so stubborn, I regretted putting on such a thick line. I had to walk around with that on the back of my hand for a few days as nothing could remove it completely in one go. That tells me that Clean It Zero is just SLIGHTLY better at removing make up than DHC.

In the make up removing power, Banila Co barely beat DHC.

Comparison
Okay, now to my long comparison chart.
DHC Deep Cleansing Oil
Banila Co Clean It Zero
Type
Oil cleanser
Sherbet cleanser
Volume
70ml
180ml
Price
$11.47 USD
$18USD
Average Cost
$0.164/ml
214.286 won/ml
Roughly $0.214/ml**
$0.100/ml
111.111 won/ml
roughly $0.111/ml**
Ingredients
Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Pentylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherol, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil


Source: http://www.dhccare.com/deep-cleansing-oil
Mineral Oil, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, PEG-10 Isostearate, Polyethylene, Butylene Glycol, Water, Rubus Suavissimus (Raspberry) Leaf Extract, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Extract, Aspalathus Linearis Leaf Extract, Viscum Album (Mistletoe) Leaf Extract, Angelica Polymorpha Sinesis Root Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Malpighia Glabra (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Epilobium Angustifolium Leaf Extract, BHT, Butylparaben, CI 16255, CI 15985, Fragrance 


Source: http://sokoglam.com/products/banila-co-clean-it-zero#sthash.XsQBFvJf.dpuf
Smell
Herbal smell, most likely due to the rosemary leaf.
Every time I use it, I can only smell it at first then I can no longer smell it.
A sweet creamy smell.
The smell stays, every time I use it I can smell it, and it would still waft into my nose until I rinse it off
Feel
Feels kind of creamy but not. Feels slightly thicker than regular oil
Soft when fresh out of the container, and melt into oil upon contact with skin & body heat.
Feels a bit thicker than DHC
Usage
Half a pump covers half of my face. Pumped onto fingers or palm of hand and quick apply on face.
Pea size scoop is more than enough for half of my face. Usually extend to the neck area if there are any extra.
Ease of usage
As it is oil, it can drip if I don’t apply fast enough.  
Transfer from provided spoon onto fingers, then onto face. Some chunks can get stuck between fingers and have to stop and move those chunks onto face and continue massage. Slightly unsanitary due to the spoon.
Massage
About 30 seconds before it feels like there is not much oil left to massage with
About a minute before it starts to feel like there is not much oil left to massage
Rinse
Upon contact with water, feel like all of it rinsed right off. It felt like skin contacting skin, without the oil in between.
Upon contact with water, feel like there is still quite a thick layer of oil on my skin. Keep on massaging to rinse off. Still feel like there is some left on skin.
Breakouts
Initially caused me to break out around the temple area. After continuous use, still has occasional breakouts but much less than the Banila
Caused some mini breakouts around the chin. Continuous usage lead to more breakouts on forehead and cheek compared to DHC.


 **I used TesterKorea for a standard price point comparison. The two are available on different sites and different mark ups. TK is the only site that I can think of that has both and uses the same mark up. 



Price point and ingredients wise, Banila wins over DHC. It cost nearly half as much and have less triggering ingredients.


Overall Thoughts

Banila won over DHC in all the categories I can compare. But honestly, my final thoughts on both are kind of meh.

For DHC, I started off disliking the smell. I have come to appreciate it though as it is much lighter scent than Banila.  However, because it is liquid, it can get messy if I don't move quickly. It's price is stopping me from purchasing it again. The full size is 200ml for $33.50 CAD on Amazon.ca which is quite high for me. The comments state a little goes a long way. But I can't seem to get it to work with just a little bit. ( ´•̥ו̥` )

As for Banila Co, it is much cheaper for less triggering ingredients list and slightly better make up removal performance. However, I can't get over how it feels like I have not removed all of it, despite double cleansing. I now have deep regret over ordering the jumbo size and is left pondering how am I going to use it all up before it expires. .·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·. Oh, not to mention how the Banila side of my face had more breakouts than the DHC's side. That is also a big no no.

Well, this is my thoughts on the two popular cleansing oil/balm. Hopefully that can kind of help somebody out there. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment