Pages

Saturday 2 September 2017

[AMABIE] Thank You Farmer Hydration set

I have been eyeing the Thank You Farmer brand for a while and finally decided to try their True Water Deep Cream from TakeGoodCare.ca and entered the ShopAmabie & Thank You Farmer contest on Instagram thinking I probably won't win anyways. But I did!!! I never had such luck before!!!πŸ˜†πŸ˜
I won the hydration set, which included the cleanser, toner and emulsion! Along with the cream I got from TGC, I have the full set to play with!



This post will review the cleanser, toner and emulsion, as I only had tried the cream once and it's not enough to form an opinion on it yet. Plus, I want to see how it performs against the cold dry AB winter before I post my review on it. So look forward to that.

Let's get to the review of the hydration set I won from ShopAmabie~! Please let me disclose that even though I received the items for free, all the opinion expressed in this post is all my opinion and not influenced by the company.

 First up is the Back to Pure Daily Foaming Gel Cleanser, which is supposed to be a foaming gel cleanser. The first impression I had was WOW this is a huge bottle! It is 200ml in a plastic bottle with a pump.
  CosDNA

The most notable ingredients to me are:
soluable collagen, aloe juice, sodium hyaluronate, squalane, alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, shea butter, stearic acid, ceramide 3

Most of the ingredients I listed have moisturizing properties, and it is looking good for this cleanser. However, the downside is there is alcohol in the ingredients list. While it is not high up on the list, it may be an issue. I'll explain later on.

The other ingredient that I am also concerned with is the cetearyl alcohol, which is listed as level 2 for acne and irritant on CosDNA. While this is listed for sensitive skin, the presence of the cetearyl alcohol may cause an issue for those with super sensitive skin.
This is one downside to the package. The cleanser I received had a November 2017 expiration date which is a shame since I won't be able to finish a 200ml cleanser within 4 months. But I do believe this is a genuine mistake as I spoke with Katrina from Amabie and she contacted Thank You Farmer. They stated they shipped out products with 2018 and 2019 expiration dates, which is true for rest of my set. I think this was just a fluke. And they assured me that it is still safe to use. I am not too upset over it. But just a good reminder to always check your products to make sure you use them up before the expiration date! And this is coming from a product hoarder!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Onto the cleanser and its performance. I have pitted it against normal eyeliner and some waterproof eyeliner and mascara. Let's see how it performs.
First up is the normal eyeliner. The cleanser is definitely a gel cleanser. It comes out slowly through the pump as it is pretty thick and it doesn't move too much on the hand. It is so thick that you can see all the bubbles in the picture above. It has a light jasmine scent which I love! 😍
I found the cleanser to spread easily, and a whole pump is way more than enough for my face and neck.
However, I didn't think it foams up well at all. As you can see above, there was barely any bubbles. When I use it on my face, I can get a bit more foam. But it is more of the cleanser emulsifying with a little bit of bubbles. So don't expect any big bubbles from this cleanser
As for cleaning power, it completely washed off the normal eyeliner! Let's move onto the waterproof mascara and eyeliner.
The eyeliner and mascara is from my favourite brand Kiss Me. I love how waterproof their products are!
In this picture, you can see the cleanser being more emulsifying instead of foaming up. You can also see some of the eyeliner coming off, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is because of the friction from my finger trying to foam up the cleanser.
As you can see,the mascara on top is pretty much staying put. I was expecting it since the mascara is basically impossible to remove without the specific mascara remover or a few minute soak with a good cleansing oil and balm like the Banila & Co Clean It Zero. But I was surprised the eyeliner was basically almost all removed by the cleanser.

Now, for its performance on my face, because let's face it, that is where it matters the most. I am uncertain regarding its performance to be honest. I liked how it rinsed off well so it doesn't feel like it left residue on my skin.

BUT! It constantly made my skin feel tight afterwards. I first thought it was just my skin not used to it. But I been using it for a few weeks now and I am still getting the tightness. It makes me wonder if it is maybe the alcohol or the cetearyl alcohol that's causing the tightness.

The tightness may also have been caused by the fact that the advertised pH is between 6.5 to 7. Whereas I have been using the CosRx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser which has pH level between 5 to 6.  So the jump in the pH may have been an unhappy change for my skin and why it felt tight after using the cleanser.

The tightness is easily fixed by using the toner and rest of the routine so it is not a big issue for me. But I do wonder if it would actually be okay to use on sensitive skin.

Either way, I think I will continue to use this cleanser until it expired. Then I think it would be a good body wash, since I quite like the faint jasmine scent. 😍

Edit: I have been using this for a few months now and I am still getting the tightness after using the cleanser. In fact, after I started to use this then went back to using the CosRx cleanser, my skin also felt tight afterwards. Which never happened before with the CosRx cleanser. So I have a little sneaking suspicion that this may have been a little too stripping for my normal but dehydrated skin. Leading to the lingering tightness that sometimes last after masking.


Oh, this is 150ml of toner in a frosted glass container with a pump. 😍 I love how pretty and simple the design is!
CosDNA (I am linking this but there is a slight difference. The CosDNA list includes alcohol and butylene glycol, but this list has methylpropanediol. Other than that, the rest of the list is the same.)

Notable ingredients to me are:
niacinamide, aloe leaf extract and juice, soluable collage, sodium hyaluronate

I like seeing niacinamide so high on the list! And love to see sodium hyaluronate, so I am expecting it to be moisturizing.
2019 expiration date! Though I need use like 2 pumps on my chubby cheeks so I can see myself using it up before the expiration date.
The toner is a thin gel consistency, so you can see it still captures some air bubbles within it. It smells like Biotherm Aqua Source to me. I actually quite like it since it's a light floral scent.

 The toner sinks in relatively quickly but does leave my skin a bit sticky. the first few times I used it, it actually made my skin feel tingly but that went away after I used it a few times. When used after the cleanser, it does help alleviate some of the tightness resulting from the cleanser. I find that my skin already feeling a bit more dewy after using the toner.

I quite like this toner! It smells nice and I love the bottle. I quite like how it already made my skin feel dewy afterwards. I would consider repurchasing it when it goes on sale.

The last product to be reviewed is the emulsion in the hydration set. It also comes in a frosted glass and contains 130ml of product. 
Notable ingredients to me are: 
cetyl alcohol, soluable collagen, aloe leaf juice and extract, sodium hyaluronate, squalane, alcohol, ceterayl alcohol, shea butter, ceramide 3. 

I am happy to see all the moisturizing ingredients in there such as sodium hyaluronate and shea butter. But I am a little concerned how much different alcohols are in there. πŸ˜•
2018 expiration date but I think I can use it up before then. 
The emulsion is on the thick side. I can have it sit on back of my hand it will not drip or move anywhere. It reminds me of the Biotherm Aquasource line even more than the toner. It has that mix of light floral and orange leaf scent. I love this scent!! 😍 It's why I used the Aquasource line for so long. 
The emulsion spreads very easily and sinks in very quickly. It doesn't leave my skin sticky at all. Instead, my skin feels even more moisturized and I am quite happy with the feel of it. 

I think I may consider repurchasing this, but at the regular price of $45USD, it is a little steep for me. 

Overall Thoughts
I have been a bit uncertain about the whole set from the get go, as I didn't really like how my skin felt tight after using the cleanser and how it took both the toner and emulsion to get rid of the tightness. But as I use it on a longer stretch of time, my skin started to get used to it. And I find my skin to be quite moisturized using the whole set, and the odd sheet mask makes it even better. I don't need to add any essences, oils or creams. It makes me happy whenever I get to keep a minimum routine as I am quite lazy. πŸ˜…πŸ˜†

I am not sure if I will repurchase the whole set since it is a bit more expensive than what I am used to. Especially when I keep experiencing tightness from the cleanser. 

But I am thankful that I actually won the whole set from ShopAmabie and got to try this Thank You Farmer set that I have been eyeing for a long time! 

Edit: Like I said above, I have been using it for a few months now. I am definitely a fan of the toner and emulsion. Not too much of a fan for the cleanser. Since the weather has become cooler, I found that the whole set is not moisturizing enough, even with the usage of a mask and additional serum. I found my skin to start flaking already and have added the cream to my routine. I will either update this post or a solo review on the cream on how the whole set work against the dry and cool AB weather! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment